Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Calvinism / Southern Seminary in the news

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1583921,00.html

So, after reading this article, I was asking myself the question ... is Al talking about actual, historical Calvinism, or about his own personal beliefs? Because my experience has been that Calvinism in practice and polemic, as regards free will, goes a good bit beyond "you can't save yourself" to the point of "Mankind has a free will; but it is free to milk cows and to build houses, nothing more." In truth, there was little, if anything, I found to disagree with in what was billed as a "Calvinist apology" article.

What do you think?

P.S. Extra brownie points to whoever figures out the author of the cows quote.

1 comment:

Nathan Wells said...

It seemed like he was talking about his own personal beliefs - but I think there is a time and a place to full out "go deep" and a time and a place to "go basic" - I think Jesus did both (though I guess most of the statements I am thinking of were always right next to each other...).

and Martin Luther likes to milk cows...gotta love the internet :)

-Nathan