Friday, April 20, 2007

Taking Up Your Cross in the American Suburbs - Terms - Part One

What does it look like to take up your cross in the American Suburbs?

First of all, I think asking ourselves some questions (devised from William MacDonald's "Terms of Discipleship" chapter in his book True Discipleship) will help us discern what a disciple of Christ should look like. These are simple, but sometimes it is good to think on the simple.


Do I love Christ more than anything else?

"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple " (Lk. 14:26).


Have I submitted my life to the Lordship of Christ?

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross... " (Mt. 16:24).



Have I chosen to align myself with the shame, persecution, and abuse of my Lord?

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross... " (Mt. 16:24).


Have I spent my life in following Christ?

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me" (Mt. 16:24).


Do I love my brothers and sisters in Christ?

"By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (Jn. 13:35).


Is my life characterized by consistent, unquestioning obedience to the Word of God ?

"If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed" (Jn. 8:31).



So what does it look like? I think in many ways it can look very differently. One might be really rich, drive a nice car, and another extremely poor, and not even own a car. But, all, when it comes down to it, come under these terms of discipleship that Jesus laid out.

I think these terms are vague in some ways - let's work to smooth them out. If it interests you, take one or two and go for it. Or, add another term, you think is necessary.

1 comment:

Danny Slavich said...

Very good thinking. Another one I was pondering yesterday is when Jesus rebukes the rich, young ruler in Mark 10. The attitude of the man is "disheartened" and "sorrowful", grounded in the fact that he had great riches. I thought that another implication/application is

"What is my attitude when I consider losing all that I own for Jesus?"